2019 Voertman / Academy of American Poets Prize
The Department of English is pleased to announce this year's $200 Voertman / Academy of American Poets prize for UNT's creative writing graduate students.
The Academy of Poets, as part of their Academy Book Awards, sponsors the University and College Poetry Prize Program to distribute annual prizes at over 200 colleges and universities nationwide. The program is notable for having recognized many of America's premier poetic voices during their college years, including Diane Ackerman, Alice Fulton, Tess Gallagher, Allen Grossman, Kimiko Hahn, Robert Hass, Brad Leithauser, J.D. McClatchy, Heather McHugh, and Gregory Orr, among others.
The winner will be recognized at the UNT Rilke Prize reading on Thursday, April 4, 2019.
- Open to currently enrolled Ph.D. or M.A. creative writing students in the Department of English, University of North Texas.
- Submit up to three poems in a single PDF attachment. Yourname should not appear on the manuscript.
- All submissions must have 2019 Voertman Prize in the subject line.
- Email submissions to Corey Marks at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submissions must be received by Friday, February, 1, 2019.
Click here for flyer.
2018 Voertman / Academy of American Poets Prize Winner
UNT Rilke Prize winner Allison Benis White has selected "Turn of the Millennium" by Megan Arlett as the winner of the 2018 Voertman / Academy of American Poets Prize. She writes:
"Turn of the Millennium" is an exceptional poem about the female body, unspeakable violence, and the "luckiness" that draws a thin line between who is safe and who is destroyed. This poem does what all good poems should do: startle the reader into a sublime awareness that she is in a human body with a finite number of breaths.
Megan received $200, is named in the Academy's annual report, and was recognized at the UNT Rilke Prize reading.
- 2017 Andrew Koch for "Inheritance"
- 2016 Chelsea Wagenaar for "The Spinning Place"
- 2015 Matt Haines for "The Instructor"
- 2014 Chelsea Wagenaar for "August"
- 2013 Justin Bigos for "Three Rivers"
Paul Voertman endowed the Voertman / Academy of American Poets Prize for creative writing graduate students at UNT.
Video: In memory of Paul Voertman https://youtu.be/ZYI66KB4Xuw