General Eligibility Requirements
- Minimum score of 70% on GRE Verbal
- Minimum GPA of 3.5
- Doctoral Students must have an updated Graduate Student Profile (http://faculty.unt.edu/).
General Application Materials for ALL Scholarships
- Completed Application Coversheet. (Save to desktop first and open in Adobe Reader)
- Brief description of thesis, dissertation, or creative/research focus.
- C.V. (May include any work submitted or in-progress as well as accepted publications.)
- Essay(s) submitted for Marquez and/or Simpkins Prizes (see below)
- Electronic Submission (only) by March 3, 2017 to English@unt.edu; late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- By the stated deadline, each applicant must submit a single PDF, named with the applicant's own name, with the cover sheet, brief statement, and vita - in that order. Those submitting essays for Marquez or Simpkins consideration must send these as separate Word or PDF files, named with the applicant's own name and "Marquez" or "Simpkins" as need be.
- Please note that no application coming to the Graduate Office in any other format will be accepted. Incorrectly formatted applications will be automatically disqualified from consideration.
Mary Patchell Scholarship (amount variable)
Elizabeth Lomax Memorial Presidential Scholarship (amount variable)
- Preference given to students whose research agendas engage Western Civilization.
Robert Liddell Lowe Scholarship in English (amount variable)
- Preference given to students interested in 19th Century or Modern English Literature
Veta Watson Percy Scholarship ($1,000)
- Must be currently enrolled as a full-time graduate student
- Must demonstrate financial need with evidence of or qualification for financial aid (e.g. FAFSA)
- Must not receive funding from an RBTF, MDF, TDF, or GATS award in the same semester(s) departmental scholarship will be awarded.
Ray C. Stoker Graduate Scholarship (amount variable)
- Doctoral students enrolled in dissertation hours only
Rusty Duncan Scholarship (amount variable)
- Excellence in English students
∗∗Scholarships requiring essay submissions:
Pearla Irene Marquez Memorial Scholarship in Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- Article-length essay on a medieval or Renaissance topic
Scott Simpkins Memorial Scholarship ($500)
- The essay must be article length, 4000 to 6000 words.
- The essay must focus on some aspect of literary or cultural theory (i.e., on a particular theoretical problem or theorist, or on an innovative application of theory to an interpretative problem).
- The applicant must be enrolled as a full-time graduate student in English at UNT during the academic year in which the award is given. He or she must also meet the minimum entrance and continuing academic performance standards of the College of Arts and Sciences and Department of English in effect at the time of the award.