The Academy of Poets, as part of their Academy Book Awards, sponsors the University and College Poetry Prize Program to distribute annual prizes at over 200 colleges and universities nationwide. The program is notable for having recognized many of America's premier poetic voices during their college years, including Diane Ackerman, Alice Fulton, Tess Gallagher, Allen Grossman, Kimiko Hahn, Robert Hass, Brad Leithauser, J.D. McClatchy, Heather McHugh, and Gregory Orr, among others. https://poets.org/academy-american-poets/prizes/university-college-poetr...
2021 Voertman / Academy of American Poets Prize
The Department of English is pleased to announce this year's Voertman / Academy of American Poets prize for creative writing graduate students.
Open to currently enrolled Ph.D. and M.A. creative writing students in the Department of English, University of North Texas.
- Submit up to three poems in a single PDF attachment. Your name should not appear on the manuscript.
- All submissions must have 2021 Voertman Prize in the subject line.
- Email submissions to Corey Marks at email@example.com.
- Submissions must be received by March 11, 2021.
Click here for flyer.
- 2020 Aza Pace for "My Father Asks What I'm Looking At"
- 2019 Megan Arlett for "Jaw"
- 2018 Megan Arlett for "Turn of the Millennium"
- 2017 Andrew Koch for "Inheritance"
- 2016 Chelsea Wagenaar for "The Spinning Place"
- 2015 Matt Haines for "The Instructor"
- 2014 Chelsea Wagenaar for "August"
- 2013 Justin Bigos for "Three Rivers"
Paul Voertman endowed the Voertman / Academy of American Poets Prize for creative writing graduate students at UNT.
Video: In memory of Paul Voertman https://youtu.be/ZYI66KB4Xuw