The UNT Rilke Prize awards $10,000 to a collection that demonstrates exceptional artistry and vision written by a mid-career poet and published in the preceding year. The prize is named after the German poet Rainer Maria Rilke (1875-1926), a writer whose work embodies the qualities of ambition, intellectual and imaginative scope, and technical mastery we seek to recognize.
The submission period for the 2024 UNT Rilke Prize begins August 1, 2023 and closes November 30, 2023.
· Entrants must have published at least two previous books of poetry.
· Work must be original poetry written in English.
· Eligible books must have been published between November 2022 and October 2023.
· Books may be submitted by presses or by writers themselves and must be postmarked by November 30, 2023.
· Each submission must include 3 copies of the book and a completed entry form.
· Chapbooks are not considered previous publications.
· Self-published books will not be considered.
· Books authored by friends or former students of the judges will not be considered.
· Finalists may be asked to submit further copies.
· No submission fee.
· Books will not be returned.
The winner will travel to UNT for a reading and book signing to be scheduled in Fall 2024. The author must also allow portions of the winning work to be reproduced for promoting the award. Poets who enter the prize must agree to these terms in order to accept the prize.
HOW TO SUBMIT?
Authors or publishers will mail completed entry form with three copies of the book submission to the address below. Please download entry form here.
The UNT Rilke Prize was founded in 2011 and is offered by Creative Writing and the Department of English.
For questions or more info, contact UNTrilkeprize@unt.edu